Monday, March 7, 2011

Cabinet DIY completed and tutorial

OK ladies and gentalmen the day I have been waiting for!! A completed product! It is full installed.
Isn't she lovely!!
There are a few kinks I am working out and a finishing touch still waiting to happen but she is functional!
Heres a run down how we did this baby.
I measured and taped on the wall, where I wanted each shelf to fit all the cans I wanted into it. Husband comes in and measures from the top of the fridge to the floor takes into account the casters we bought and cuts the wood (shorter than I wanted!). Huge debate and "you never listen to me" discussion happens "whats done is done all isn't lost" half apology comes and then we are off to work again.
We called a friend to router the front and back pieces so we can use either side, 20min later he returns with beautifully edged wood. Thanks Jimmy!!
Then we built the box.
The outer box is the only thing we screwed, just to give it a little extra stabilitystability.
I will cover these wholes with little furniture buttons as soon as I can get into town to get some.
We doubled up the bottom and top boards (we glued one piece of oak and one piece of pine to save on money and still have the oak to screw into to make it sturdy). This was to help keep it square and the casters need something solid to screw into.
I then measured out where I wanted the shelves. Since we made the box first (mans idea remember his measuring) then I had to do the math to figure out how many shelves I could get in that space. I knew I wanted each shelf about 7.5" so I could easily get the cans in and out with the dowels. After laying one shelf inside, I found all I needed was 6.5" between each piece of wood. So I got the number of shelves I originally wanted LOL plus an extra little shelf for the little cans! I measured from the bottom of our box each time we nailed a shelf to insure if I messed up (which I did by 1/4" on one shelf) all the rest wouldn't be messed up too.
We bought for the more expensive better looking "select pine" for the shelves rather than oak to save the pocketbook. Select pine is my new favorite craft wood, very little if any sanding needed!
We then drilled whole for the dowels to set in.
We used a template for this. We measured from where we wanted the dowels to go and then drilled a hole straight thru a scrap piece. We lined up the template and stuck the drill bit thru and drilled in about 1/8-1/4". This saved so much time! I didn't need to measure each shelf and where to drill. (I married a smart man!) We cut the dowels 1/2" wider than the shelves and they slid right in with a little dab of glue on each end.
A quick sand, a quick stain, let stand for 24-36hrs, add the casters, nail on the back, then a medium coat of poly urethane, screw on the handle and empty your shelves!!
Look how much room I have! (Wish I would have gotten a before pic! Half of those cans were in this cupboard with the all the rest of what is still in there )
Doesn't she fit well! I need to add a small six inch rail on the wall to keep it from scrapping it all up but my soldier boy can do that with a scrap from the back when he gets home in three weeks.
I will suggest you don't buy small casters (I didn't want them to be than visible). We doubled up three rows of small 50Lb casters (6sm casters in total). Because they each swivel and aren't always swiveling in the same direction it takes a extra pull out and then push back sometimes to line them all up. Another thing my dear soldier boy can help me with when he gets home- we can install the larger 1.5-2" flat ball caster.
For now I am enjoying my new cupboard!
Now to figure out what to do with this over cluttered spice and baking supply cupboard...

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Princess sashes

I am involved with the youth group at church. Each year the girls take time to welcome the new girls into the program and to rededicate themselves to setting goals, we call this New Beginnings.
After a quick brainstorm we came across a few princess themed skits and things started to evolve. Unfortunately I was unable to attend as soldier boy is away-tending four kids and trying to encourage a peaceful spiritual feeling is next to impossible with my herd! BUT I was able to contribute!
We wanted each of the girls to walk away feeling like a pretty princess.
My job was to create sashes for each girl to wear like Miss America.
What I used
2" wide ribbon
glitter glue pens
your favorite font to fit printed out as a template
(I used Curlz at 230)
Because it was 10pm by the time I finally got around to starting this project I decided to just print it out with a space between each letter when I typed it rather than try to figure out how to make it print up and down, then I cut each letter out and taped to the table.
I then taped the ribbon over top of the template were I wanted the texted to be (about 10-12" from the end) and I started to trace with my glitter pens in each of the value colors.
Towards the end I was running low on glitter and had to find a way to get every last bit of glitter out of my pen. Gotta love Twix-it clips!
Here they are all laid out to dry. The perfect accessory for every runway princess!
My daughter is super excited to pick through the leftovers at church tomorrow and take one home for herself!